Wednesday 24 September 2008

An Impossible Journey ..?

The shock and realisation that suddenly my mother’s life is at an end .. but is it? The care and concern of all .. the move to the Acute Brain Injury Unit (ABIU) .. the medication to bring the strokes under control – all carried on while we as children adjusted to the situation at hand.

Then the "shock horror" that my mother would live on & we really would need to adjust to a different life .. for how long? None of us knew & no-one can predict: It is her life and her decision - something I was told early on.

Then we started looking at her character ... the strength, her tenacity and resilience .. her faith & her belief that she most certainly did not want to die .. she still had plenty to do ..

4 comments:

Lucky Lou said...

My mother was taken from us in 1991 with a major heart attack, and 5 years ago our father came down with Alzheimer's. We didn't have time to care for my mom since it came all at once, but seeing my father live like he does is really heart wrenching! God Bless the ones who have to live through these time!

Believe Achieve - Hugo and Roxanne said...

Your mother sounds like an Incredible woman. Her story of her WILL to Live, Her STRENGTH to overcome and her STRONG faith is truly inspirational. We think it's important to foster, encourage and support her decision to "be here." What a Blessing to still have Mom in your life. She seems to still want to be here for you, too. We can learn so much from her and her experience. We look forward to reading more.

Many Blessings....Roxanne and Hugo

BeHappy said...

Hi Louie .. yes I can understand your feelings ... I was shocked at first .. but now I'm grateful I've had this time with my mother: & I'm so lucky she can still communicate.
I appreciate a great deal more our fortune, as other illnesses are often so much more difficult & I certainly count my blessings .. more times than I care to say.
Alzeimers in particular is so heart wrending .. my thoughts will be with you - Hilary

BeHappy said...

Hi Roxanne & Hugo .. yes .. she has all of those things in abundance .. & I absolutely do what is right for her and what she feels at that moment. We have some amazing stories .. & yes - only the other day she was saying 'I should be doing that for you .. I'm your mother, you're my daughter' .. it brings tears to my eyes .. but she accepts it's up to me now .. to be her physical guide to the future. She is extremely busy in her solitude, with lots to do .. & is peaceful & content - what more can I want really in the circumstances? Your kindness is inspiring .. thanks Hilary