Thursday 25 September 2008

Why am I doing this ...?

To help myself record some of the interesting interludes that we’ve had along the way .. yes it has been traumatic, but I’ve seen my mother’s character blossom with many an amusing tale to tell .. she laughs a lot and we have had some interesting discussions on various topics.

The trick, I’ve found is to be ahead of the game .. ie be thinking in advance of topics that she would be interested in ..they have to be snippets, as she cannot concentrate for too long .. so when you see something amusing or stimulating .. make a note, cut it out – then the next trick is to remember what it was of interest that you wanted to discuss ... !! My own brain gets tired too .. I’m not used of thinking for two .....

2 comments:

Ovid Diaconescu said...

Amazing! I came to the same realization w/my 74-yr old mom, bless her heart. 'Snipets' is all she can handle -- and for me ONE MORE OZ OF PATIENCE to listen to her. :)

BeHappy said...

Hi Ovid .. thanks for your comments .. yes patience is not one of my strong points .. I want to get on & be doing things .. but you have to learn to be still & quiet! I'm lucky (again) .. Mum does doze off & then I can just give her a big hug & kiss and say I'll see her later or tomorrow .. or if I'm 'itching' too much .. I have to get up & go .. = she knows I'm her rock .. & I won't abandon her. My wishes to your mother ... & all the best to you (Patience is a virtue!!) Hilary