Tuesday 30 September 2008

Remember to say thank you with a smile ...

Today is not so good .. it’s a developing symptom with strokes .. – but she knew I was with her and had a hard squeeze of my hand, and was thanking me for being there & for letting her rest, knowing that I’d return this afternoon; & also just gently reminding her that the vicar is coming tomorrow for a private appointment that she made with him, when he said prayers with her last time.

A couple of the other things that have set my mother apart with all who have met her since she’s been ill .. is that at all times .. she says thank you, and is so grateful for all that is done for her = it’s a constant: she doesn’t forget the power of a thank you: & a sunshine smile!

Remember to say thank you with a smile = it’ll take you a million miles.

4 comments:

Peter Baca said...

Hilary - my heart goes out to you today! I know it is such a difficult time! The hardest part is seeing someone that you love and care for decline everyday. I was in a similar situation earlier in the year with my mom. Best wishes and your in our heart and prayers!

Pete Baca

gracia54 said...

Thanks for sharing, Hilary. Its always nice to read personal stories. Thanks for teaching us.

Patricia Dean

BeHappy said...

Thank you Pete - yes I agree .. it has been difficult .. the last year Mum has been relatively stable .. there've been moments .. other than that I've been able to enjoy her company for the short times she can manage - & some really precious moments. My thoughts to you for your loss - Hilary

BeHappy said...

Hi Patricia .. many thanks for your comments .. we can learn a huge amount from you and your story .. we should learn from you: you are on such challenging journey .. may all go as smoothly as possible: with sincere thoughts - Hilary