Saturday 4 October 2008

Her Spiritual Interests .. Religion ..

Well .. that was a surprise .. and a shell shock to us all .. Father Jamie must have been very surprised .. I’m afraid I had a fit of the giggles when I talked to FJ & to Janice (what else do you do?!) – my mother is full of surprises and completely unseated all of us!

Mum is direct to say the least and announced to Father Jamie that she wanted to convert to Catholicism!! Poor chap .. his first reply obviously: well I’m not the right person here and said he’d send Father Seamus to see her. Not at all what we had assumed – a lesson: never assume anything?! ....that the discussion would follow the sort of things normally occurring when someone is in their last months?!

However – things settled down after that .. & they had lots of philosophical discussion regarding the C of E church and its direction – bless Father Jamie for adjusting so quickly to the situation; he stayed an hour & it’s completely exhausted my mother! – let alone FJ & me!!

Janice, our Healing Touch Therapist, was wonderful in talking Mum through her discussion with Father Jamie and help her mull through some of the religious ideas arising. Mum’s brain was clearly agitated at the amount of energy she’d had to put into this process .. Janice managed to calm her and bring a centering back to her being.

When I got up .. and chatted to Mum about it all .. I said Father Jamie must have been very surprised by her request .. and started laughing .. she giggled too .. – so I said I’d put the wheels in motion, so she could think about it a bit longer and I’d talk to FJ, to Janice & to a Catholic volunteer, who visits us .. aged 92?!

No comments: